Friday, January 27, 2006

NHK

Do you pay your NHK? Does anyone? (besides me)

I just read a little editorial on the state of affairs at NHK, and it looks like change is on the way. None too soon if you ask me.

The number of non-payers is an enormous and growing burden on the broadcaster. The whole world seems to know that not paying for NHK doesn't really carry any penalties, and consequently, they don't pay. NHK is looking at all the possibilities they can to figure out how to make people pay, but it's pretty clear the only viable option is to institute a penalty for not paying.

What gets me about the whole debate is what it shows about the contemporary culture of responsibilty. Several years ago, people were almost equally aware of the lack of penalties for non-payment, but paid anyway... out of a sense of duty. Several weeks ago, when I decided to pay for NHK, my office was insistent that I shouldn't pay, even if I do watch. Other people I've talked to as well think it's borderline insane to pay NHK.
We're leaving the Japan of prior eras, when duty to the society overshadowed personal well-being, to be sure. And that's a good thing. But I worry that the new Japan will build itself on top of the words of Horie sha-chou "If it's not illegal, it's ok". Or even worse, seeing as not paying NHK is indeed illegal, "it's ok, so long as you don't get caught"... the Huser ideology.

(update: I'm not entirely sure on this one, but I think the Huser thing may actually be something more like "the penalties are lower than the profits to be made in breaking the law")

No comments: