Wednesday, January 18, 2006

conservatism is heavy. I grow heavy.


I've felt recently like modern "conservatism" is built on a belief that the world is impossibly black and irredeemable... like the conservative refuses to afford an ounce of trust to the world. Conservatism is dismissive of any and all dreams that aren't grounded in greed or deception. For the conservative, there is always a counter example that justifies treating the world with hatred. Like the coldest of men are the greatest of men.

I think the world drives us all in this direction. Tragedy after tragedy, violation after violation accumulate as we age, and we lose out trust and brightness.

In today's news is one of those tragedies that makes the world blacker and heavier for me. Today, the otaku murderer guy from the late 80's was given his final, unappealable death sentence. The black part is that I'm quite happy about it.
I oppose the death penalty, pretty strongly. I don't respect the authority of the state to control the literal life and death of humanity, nor the ability of the courts to determine guilt and innocence without flaw.

This guy, though, I'm glad to think that he will die unpleasantly, and at the hands of the state.

No comments: