Wednesday, April 06, 2005

my name is breenay and I'm a baby mama.

I'm ditching some music right now, and this "promo only urban radio mix" thing I downloaded is so full of crap. utter crap. If this represents what hip hop radio sounds like these days, I feel less a lot less unhip. Do hip hop listeners really dig this crap? It's so limited in premise, instrumentation, and mostly moronic... it reminds me of hot country from the mid-nineties. Eerily so. This mix cd just begs a bit of reverse engineering, and looking at who the target audience is supposed to be.
They're every bit as non-reflective and immersed in a constricted culture as the country AND western crowd. It's a comforting atmosphere, I suppose. In the mediocre artists, one can see one's own shortcomings held up as not just human, but great. Like the manufactured stars over here.

Yeah yeah, I guess it's really an inevitability of capitalism. The alternative radio mix cd isn't any better... but at least varied, and expressing a myriad of viewpoints... and none of them feeling so patronizing as "baby mama".

No comments: