Friday, April 15, 2005

firefox really really sucks.

damn. I just spent a long time putting together pictures to show just why firefox really really sucks, but I can't get a place together to put the picture right now. Rest assured, firefox really really sucks.
Tabs are nice... and I suppose that the open sourcey plugin functionality makes for some nice things, but really, I can control winamp via winamp. (iTunes is another terrible, over-rated program).
But what really gets me is how UNcustomizable it really is. Or rather how difficult it is to customize to your own tastes in usability... especially mouse-centric use. In IE I have my drop down menus, my buttons, and my links menu squeezed into one row, and the next has the address bar (without a stupid go button) and the google toolbar with a couple of its extra functions. There is easily 10 times more functionality in the google toolbar than that stupid websearch bar from firefox. That's it. Below that is the webpage I'm viewing.

With firefox, there're at least three rows of crap (if you want you links menu), including a go button that's not easily removed (compared to windows)... and it's uglee. Windows may not be beautiful, but it has a businesslike dignity to it, and even though I'm using the default colors and icons from windows 2000, it looks a lot more modern than those stupid kiddy buttons.

I don't know, maybe themes fix the problems. Maybe if you're willing to put a lot of effort into customizing it, it works much better than IE, but I'm not willing. If you've only got safari, I'm sure it looks good, but I've got IE.
Incidentally, the counter-intuitive interface with a reputation for flexibility with really limiting interface makes me wonder about what osx is going to be like. I'm certain I'll be angry at first, but will I ever grow to like the interface, or just sell my mac mini and buy a real computer?

No comments: