Monday, March 28, 2005

帰国 (kikoku)

Maybe the time has come. I'm gonna be going on a trip to San Francisco for Golden Week with my girlfriend. This'll be my first time back in the states since August 2003, and it's a little weird. I'm not anticipating anything really being different. It's the same country and the same city I left a couple years ago, but I'm not quite the same person.

It's not like I turned Japanese or anything, but I do feel at home here these days. I'm comfortable with supermarkets and convenience stores the way they are here. I'm not used to people who deviate from the norm much any more. Maybe I'm not as ready for, or welcoming of suprises as I used to be.

Still, I'm looking forward to some damned good mexican food, and good prices on computer parts. Also gonna be buying my favorite deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste and so on. I wonder if that's all the affection I have left for my little country...

However, what I feel about this trip isn't much in comparison to what my girlfriend is feeling. She speaks almost no English, so she's been kind of afraid to go abroad. This will be her first time outside Japan. She mentioned a couple days ago that she'd like to go somewhere over golden week, but I kind of resisted (can't stand travelling). When I told her that I'd decided that we should go, she almost cried. She said she thought she'd die without ever leaving Japan.

I guess when you don't have the experience, it seems like a much bigger deal.

nevermind...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:( You can't go???

ネイット said...

yeah, it's a wash. Sometime in the winter next year, maybe.