Wednesday, March 23, 2005

hatsu entry

I spend more time cleaning slates than filling them up lately. This is my second attempt at starting a new blog in the last week. The last one just " didn't take".

It's not that I have a project to share, or that I think my writing is worth reading. Quite the contrary. My writing is terrible, and my life, for the most part uninteresting... to me. Sure I live where I do, and I do what I do. I even enjoy doing it. I just don't think there's much to share at the end of the day.
That's the problem, idn' it? I was browsing some other blogs including Jamie's avoidinglife, where you can find my picture if you're so inclined, and some of the cool ass tokyoites' blogs. And it strikes me that despite having become an excellent consumer, and an expert in receiving culture (via studyin and downloadin and watching tv and all of those passtimes), I've never been a creator. Half of that is lack of discipline, half (perceived?) lack of ability. Even this blog entry is a painful process of backspace-try again.

But there's some discussion in the link under the word "cool" up there that put a bit of spring in my metaphorical step. The idea that Japan is somehow exempt from the discussion of authenticity makes me feel one step more free from the burdensome philosophy that I had been toting on my back as long as I can remember. But this isn't the place for that stuff.

I'm not sure what I envision, but maybe I can, like most other readable blogs take some of that culture I receive, cull it, and spit it back with a little touch of my own spin. And thus begins my story about...

No comments: