Friday, April 07, 2006

Whose side are you on?

Today, I spent the day in the library reading up on Japanese contract law. I've been working for about a week on an intro to civil law book, and dutifully noting all of the wonderful new words like 瑕疵 and 強制執行. It wasn't until I got out of the library, and in front of a window that I actually started thinking about these words and laws meant.
I was at mcdonalds, listening to the blue notebooks, and like always, the music made me look at the sky. Except the sky was mostly obscured by a giant アイフル sign. Aifuru is one of the dozens of instant, high interest loan companies here.
Seeing the sign reminded me of two things. First, who it was that these laws regarding default and forced liquidation of assets were referring to. The book I'm reading doesn't even grant them facial features, but there's a huge swath of this generation that is getting by only by the skin of their teeth. A lot of them are the inaka Okies, fled to the big city in search of warmer climes, and better times... and a lot of them are still residing in the economic wastelands, like Aomori.
What really tests my ability to ignore the contents, and just smugly say "fuck the poor", is that that was kind of what my family looked like when I was 17 or so. As well kempt and well edu-ma-cated as I may be now, there was a pretty long period where we were on the receiving end of these laws. Where some contract shenanigans cost my dad his 20 acres; where irresponsibility lost us our house, or our plane tickets home. It's not nice living on the cusp of disaster.

Now that I feel "in the clear", I wonder: Is becoming the Man the best revenge?

No comments: