Sunday, April 09, 2006

class and cafes.

A funny memory just surfaced.

A couple of days before I left Sacramento for Japan, I was studying Japanese in the same cafe where I had been spending a lot of time lately. Somehow or another, I wound up in a conversation with a professional looking older guy (early 50s?), about Japan, and from his perspective, business in Japan.
It got kind of catty because he was a drooling fan of the marketplace and international free trade, and I was anything but. It was a restrained cattyness though. Not a very meaningful moment.

However, I had just today been thinking about how I'd like to go back to that cafe, and drink an iced tea and study Japanese law books and feel elite as all get out. The professional looking guy is just another of those moments in my meandering youth that I feel bound (by some sort of sense of honor) to revenge.
This symbolic revenge is a good 2/3 of the reason I've changed gears in the last year. Success in an entirely non-specific sense will chase out the ghosts of the great cafes.

No comments: