Thursday, September 28, 2006

Japan is faggy. (an idea 1/4 developed)

Today I took a trip into San Francisco, and as you might expect, I didn't like it. Even in the financial district and the embarcadero, humans seemed incidental. The environment seemed more at peace with the trash on the streets and the graffitti on the walls than with the people crawling the streets. The most expensive stores were presented inelegantly, the communal spaces were unwelcoming, the trashcans dirty, the restraunts either fast and expensive or slow and more expensive, but by no means good.

If the city doesn't feel designed to interface with humans with a sense of beauty and decorum, what is it designed for? In the case of a city like San Francisco, it feels like the design of most spaces accomplishes only the convenience of those responsible for them. As small a profile as possible to prevent vandalism and excessive cleanup. One entrance and exit to keep people from shoplifting, or dining and dashing. no plants, nothing breakable....me = bitch bitch bitch.

Anyway, what was even more remarkable today than the unremarkability of SF, was all the gay dudes. Not that they were there, but that that they were eyein me up. Given what I was wearing, I realized that it's no wonder they were lookin at me. My pants were expensive and kind of tight, my shirt kind of expensive, with some pink in it, and my shoes, honestly they're pretty gay.

"But" I wanted to protest "these things aren't gay where I come from!" If anything, they're signifiers of youthful male virility. From my two undone buttons exposing a pretty skinny chest to my skin by clinique, my homo fashion statements are standard urban menswear in tokyo.

So if you put 2 and 2 together, Tokyo and Tokyoites come off as pretty gay. Or if you take 2 and 2 apart, Americans are unsophisticated unwashed heathens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"So if you put 2 and 2 together, Tokyo and Tokyoites come off as pretty gay. Or if you take 2 and 2 apart, Americans are unsophisticated unwashed heathens"

...unless they are gay.