Wednesday, September 20, 2006

the 5:17 triumph

Last night I slept a full seven hours in rough unison with the rest of the time zone. I'm becoming more American every day.

Today will be the first in a series of history-making summits with family members. I have no idea whether it'll jovial after the hello, hugs and kisses or whether I'll be awkwardly trying to justify being a rootless cosmopolitan. Were I a bit more socially savvy, I'd worry less about this, and I'd stop hearing "why do you hate us?" when my friends and family ask if I'm "planning to be in Japan for the rest of my life".

I think we're meeting in a place called Oak Park, but to be honest I confuse the suburb names pretty often. "Tree Name" + "Glenn, Park, -dale, -ton, etc" = wide streets and single family homes.

No comments: