Tuesday, September 19, 2006

IIIII II

My first seven days in exile are passed. In case you haven't been following every exciting episode, here's a quick recap.

In August my contract with the Ministry of Education, X and T expired, and after a little bit of hopping and fooling around, I set out for the big time. I got to Tokyo on the 12th of August, and started looking for work. The first time was a charm, and Berlitz (wisely) snatched me up before I even managed to apply to a second mega-Eigocorp. After a week and half of all-day, unpaid training, I was set free to wait for my visa forms to come through. The way the calendar worked out, I had a week in Tokyo to kill, then it was Keisei to Narita to SFO, Bart to Oakland Colliseum, Amtrak to Sac and then to the proud suburban paradise of Carmichael via my parents' hybrid electric. And that brings us to last week.

This last week has been about as uneventful as I've seen. Highlights include moving the PPP authentication on my dad's DSL modem to the router so that I could get online, buying a bagel from Noah's and behaving embarassingly in an argument with a friend. Although I have a really strong urge to make something of this time, and not let it be a total waste, I can't seem to find a means to do that. The release of iTunes 7.0 gave me a reason to find album covers for the ~5,000 songs on my harddrive, but that only took about 8 hours. So far I've only come up with one bigger stopgap solution: reading.

3 physical books and 3 mp3 audiobooks later, I've resorted to making meandering blog entries.

No comments: