Sunday, June 25, 2006

why do you want to live and work in japan?

So, with the tests behind me, it's time to think about work. Because I've got a great deal of other things on my mind for the next year, I'm probably going to go for the path of least resistance... eikaiwa. Either a job, or a job application process that requires a lot on my part is going to be incompatible with the huge amount of studying I've still got to do (see previous entry).

Before compiling my resume (which is gonna take some phone calls back and for to the home of the brave), I figure I'll tackle the ancillary application requirements first. My first choice eigogaisha request a single page essay in addition to a resume. The topic: why do you want to live and work in Japan?

Do you ask a bird why it swims, or a fish why it flies? I don't really know where to go with that question other than the honest route. I've long since decided to make a future here (because I like it here!), and eikaiwa represents the visa and pocket money I need to put the finishing touches on my language and legal knowledge of Japan before enrolling in law school here.
The thing is, every sentence of that essay I type, I feel like I've put an invisible phrase in direct address at the end: "you friggin moron". Maybe I ought to get really drunk before I write it, or try to imagine myself in the role of a person with no prospects (not that big a stretch), for whom the job isn't a step down. One way or another I gotta get into short-sleeve-and-tie-idealistic-youth-job-applicant mindset so that I can avoid having to enter that state physically back in the states.

No comments: