Thursday, June 29, 2006

the least of my abilities. (english)

There was a rare comment on my post yesterday from someone who had been reading my previous (emozionale) blog. He said he skimmed my blog over the last several months (and hit counter logs bear that out), and concluded that I must be here in Japan for law school.

...which is interesting. I've made 332 posts on this blog as of this one, and not many of them deal with the aspect of my life which comes in second only to sleeping in terms of aggragate hours. I teach English, but I'm so dismissive of it that I seem to border on shame over being an english teacher. Not true, my friend. Not true.
Its just not what I write about. When I get together with my friends, we talk about it, when I'm at work, it always feels worth my time. It's just that in the circles I inhabit, teaching english to Japanese kids is utterly unremarkable. Speaking English fluently is (as I'm always saying) "the least of my abilities". I happily apply a huge amount of time to my job, but not so much effort, and not particularly much planning. At the end of the day, it doesn't feel like there's much to say about it that isn't either trite and obvious to the in crowd, or overly specific for the layman.

So, other than broad reflections on jet, or how the new one works for me, you still can't expect much talk about my work here. now when I enroll in law school, all bets are off...

No comments: