Saturday, June 04, 2005

Yesterday, I posted a letter I wrote to neil. Today, a much more serious letter I just wrote to my grandpa ray. I hope it's not too livejournal-y.

Hi grandpa,

It's me, Nate, the one who never writes or calls or anything. For that, I'm really sorry. It's taken me a long time to get around to growing up and being responsible. I bloomed early in school and late in life, I think.

I'm glad you got my christmas present, although I intended it to arrive much earlier and accompanied by a proper letter. I'm also glad I got your christmas present. It makes my life a lot easier when I don't have to make international bank transfers so often. Thank you.

The present I sent to you was a traditional japanese wreath (or centerpiece) for the new year. Here, the new year is the most important family holiday of the year. All the younger generations come home to be together for a few days, and the whole country closes down for a few days.

It was during that time this year that I got a lot of thinking done about myself and my family, and decided it was time to make some changes. It's taking time, but the changes are falling into line.

I hope you weren't hurt by my being a terrible grandson at times. I've never felt very close to anyone in the family but my dad and michelle, but that's no excuse for being as callous and selfish as I have been in the past. I don't have a lot of memories from my childhood, but a lot of them are of christmas at your house. Thanks for helping me to have a great childhood in spite of a lot of turbulence in the world around me.

Sorry that this letter came out so heavy. It's just been so long since we've talked, and I felt like there was a lot to say... And there probably still is.

For now, I hope this email finds you in good health and good spirits.

No comments: