Sunday, June 12, 2005

take that nippophilia

Kissui's got momus' number here.
Being complimented and admired for your race is great and all, but please go the next step and ask what it is that's so good about your race. Kissui's Yuki has heard more than enough of the same shit that is at it's heart pretty racist, and immensely presumptive about the japanese people. In one of her clippings, she cites someone saying that they love japanese women because of tubgirl and because of the foreign exchange girl that was "passed around the men's floor" on weekends.

Though the mindless admiration of white men in Japan seems to be in "terminal decline", I still get way more credit and admiration than I deserve. I know it's because of a certain set of presumptions about men of my race that usually don't apply to me, so I take it all with a grain of salt. But the sort of "admiration" that gets heaped upon japanese women for their racial beauty, their subservience and selflessness, child-like nature, and all of the other objectifying, minimalizing, and dehumanizing is a different matter. I'd be damned angry if I was being painted with that brush everywhere I walked.

mea culpa: I'm king of the guilty when it comes to waxing philosophic about japan as a monolithic identity. Sometimes I even commit the ultimate ameteur sociologist's arrogance, and ignore the specific example to his or her face and insist on my own understanding of the culture. But I want to change. I really do.

No comments: