Thursday, December 22, 2005

aomori, can I get a _____ (Ch 1)

(Tomorrow, I'm gonna head downtown and get some photos to flesh out this entry a bit)

Ch 1, a decent place to eat my bentou, and maybe study.

Not so long ago when I was cramming for the JLPT, there were a lot of times when I just couldn't study at home. All the distractions I keep around are quite distracting, to tell the truth. To get anything done, I had to get out of the house. In Aomori there's only one place for times like those (two if you count Freaks Internet (etc) Cafe, but they're not free, and full of distractions).... Auga, 5f.

The first 4 floors of Auga are sort of mediocre shopping, and the 6th, 7th and 8th floors are the library (decent for studying, but no food allowed). But on the 5th floor, up above the arcade, is a large open space with a bunch of tables, a water-wheel-powered clock, some vending machines and a few homeless people. In the recent past it had a decent view too, but the new "mid-life tower" took care of that.

Like I said, when I was studying that's where I'd go for a change of venue. Just pick up a few conbini snacks on the way, and you're set. Incidentally, I'm really drawn to the type of vending machines that dispense cups with ice in them (or not if it's a hot drink), so that's bonus points for me.
Only trouble is, it really is the only place in town. When school lets out for the day, it's pretty full, especially in test seasons.

Still, since it's right there in the middle of everything, it's really convenient for just a few minutes relaxing too. By some twist of fate the place stays quiet almost all the time. I wind up in there pretty often when I'm just not sure if I want to hop a bus home yet or not.

No comments: