Wednesday, February 14, 2007

the breakup song


I assign you an eternal fate. I curse you with the ultimate curse. May it seize you instantly as it leaves my mouth.

Never may you have a home and family, never caress a child of your own. May your man prefer younger prettier girls; may he beat you as a housewife beats a rug. May you never acquire bright alabaster or shining silver the dellight of men. May your roof keep leaking and no carpenter fix it. May wild dogs camp in your bedroom; may owls nest in your attic; may drunkards vomit all over you. May a tavern wall be your place of business. May you be dressed in torn robes and filthy underwear. May angry wives sue you. May thorns and briars make your feet bloody. May young men jeer and the rabble mock you as you walk the streets.

May all this be your reward for seducing me in the wilderness when I was strong and innocent and free.


--enkidu, book 7 of gilgamesh.

No comments: