Monday, October 10, 2005

wonderful new things to do.

Today, for the first time, I rented some CDS. For the next week, I have Fantastic Plastic Machine's "Sound Concierge #501"; Kahimi Karie's "My first Karie"; Halicali's "Halicali Mix" and an album of flipper's guitar's singles.

I'm still mostly clueless about the legal and financial riggings that make cd rental a very acceptable practice in this country. But, all of the cd cases have riaj stickers on them which I guess means someone up there's seeing a cut of the 300 yen I paid per rental.

Update: Evidentally, the whole rental profit distribution system is built around the "happy music cycle". Also worthy of note is that the rental shop had a couple of signs up saying that they couldn't rent "Def Tech" (A white boy + J-boy rap duo) because they were "indies", so evidentally, some important acts are outside the riaj system.

With any luck, tomorrow I will have another japanese first. I'm going to finish my first book in Japanese, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone". Maybe you've heard of it.

No comments: