Monday, October 24, 2005

just my weekend.

A couple things happened.

Friday night, before I met up with everyone, I went up to the 12th floor sky bar in the Aomori Grand Hotel (which if you know Aomori is sort of a pathetic name). It wasn't exactly "lost in translation", but it had a certain kind of self-conscious poshness to it... and they didn't turn me away at the door for what I was wearing. After making the new bartender prepare her first gin and tonic, I got to see the crowd that self-conscious poshness attracts in this city. Namely a 45 y.o. or so dude and his "date", a caucasian girl of maybe 22, dressed in fur. Also featured were the 20 something dude and his gf in HS uniform, and the plainclothes rich lady who all of the staff treated like royalty. It was a good time.
Sunday, I finished stupid botchan. Stupid, stupid botchan. Evidently, people read it as children here as a lesson in morality, but it's not exactly dense in moral dilemmas. To me it reads like a nationalist screed against the recently defeated russians and european culture in general. One established reading says that the book is about duty and love. Fuck that. Granted, the book has a little explanation section in the back, but I didn't want to read it. I'm a petulant snot just like botchan.
Later on sunday, I saw the immediate aftermath of a pizza hut delivery car crash directly in front of the pizza hut building. It looked pretty bad, and when I first passed by, someone was on the sidewalk face down. As luck would have it, I was on my way to that pizza hut. Inside, people seemed to be taking it as an inconvenience rather than a disaster. The sign on the wall said that they hadn't had a crash for 48 days. A couple minutes later, on my way out, the guy had gotten up off the ground, and a couple of people were starting to fight over the crash. It was the first time I heard anyone actually use the word "yarou" seriously in real life. When I got home I ate the whole pizza alone.

bought some clothes at uniqlo too.
the whole weekend cost me about 3.5 man yen, or about $330.

No comments: