Monday, September 05, 2005

once more into the breach, working sick (and gentei scorecard)

I'm sick again. This is at least the tenth cold since I set foot on these shores. Were these colds the same things I got back in the day in the states, I wouldn't complain. But these are no "head colds" or "chest colds". The colds I get in Japan are always sore throat + body aches + fever. Maybe it's time to get the old tonsils out.

The other nasty thing is that now that I'm older, and have a little bit of career-type responsibility, I have to work when I've got a cold. This week, that means standing and talking and gesturing, and trying my best to get a crowd of 30 or so 15 year olds laughing and interested in what I have to say. It's just as fun as it sounds.

In the business section, this last weekend must have been seasonal rotation day at the convenience stores. I happened into a conbini saturday night at 1:00 to find the shelves virtually empty, and one of my favorite products from last fall is back. Another couple of visits to local conbinis have also seen unusually empty shelves with lots of new products. With kinako pocky and nameko soba cup noodles for sale, it's shaping up to be pretty nice fall.

限定 Scorecard,

Available: kinako pocky, nameko soba cup noodles, donbei tempura udon bowl, ebi mayo-chili onigiri.

Unavailable: lychee iced tea, mango lassi drink, chili sauce and cream cheese potato chips, honey roasted nut potato chips.

No comments: