Tuesday, July 19, 2005

isomalt and way-goo

Isomalt really is a delicious alternative to sugar. I highly recommend it, and the Kaiser candies that contain it to everyone. I don't think you'll get cancer.


That's just an aside apropos of what I see on my desk right now though. My bigger post is about way-goo... or rather 和牛 (wa gyuu).

I was watching the british food show "greatest dishes in the world" recently. On the "meat" episode (frankly, I think every show should have a meat episode, food network or otherwise), they talked to this german japan-huckster living and cooking in london. Man, do those types get under my skin. The whole of the west is filled with the people who are eager to sell the same culturally demeaning, and wholly inaccurate images of japan to the world for all too quick a buck.
I swear, it was like the guy was from a SNL skit for the culturally informed.

So he starts talking about the dish he's going to make, "way-goo". At this point they have done nothing to clarify it, so I'm thinking, "way goo?" since there's no "way" syllable in japanese, maybe he's making something chinese? Then they cut away to the "way goo" farm.

A way goo farmer in wales informs us that japan makes the worlds best beef, and that he uses the same techniques to produce his beef. Then the kanji 和牛 appear on the bottom of the screen and I put two and two together to realize that they mean kobe beef, but kobe beef is a regional thing so they have adopted the literal word for "japanese cow" and pronounced it terribly for good measure. The word git springs into my mind.

Then he goes on to add that they don't do things exactly like japan does... because in japan the cows can only be massaged by virginal women... cuz it's all religious and serious and stuff.
Where does this bullshit come from? fuckin' welsh.

No comments: