Friday, July 22, 2005

interpreting

I want to stay in Japan for a while, most preferably in Tokyo. That's not news. Since I really don't want to be an eikaiwa teacher until the day I die, I decided I'd better give some good long thought to how to pull it off.

Well, I did that and decided that I'd like to work with the language at a higher level, i.e. translation /interpretation. The trouble is that good long thought is no substitute for research. The unavoidable impression I have lately is that interpreting is not a very viable career for gaijin except for super elites, and people that have been in the business for 20 years already.

Stack this on top of what I'm slowly realizing about visa laws in Japan, and things don't look good for our hero.


I suppose I'm worried about what's really gonna happen next, but for now, save money and learn as much japanese as I can is good enough.

No comments: