Sunday, March 25, 2007

speaking of restaurant reviews.

YUMM.

There's a limited time ramen being served at 花月 (kagetsu) ramen. It's really vegetarian, and it's really good.
If you can read Japanese, follow the link and be my guest, but it really doesn't have information so much as a bunch of self congratulation. I can hardly hold that against them though. I had it a few hours ago, and it was better than I expected.
I'm no ramen expert, so I can only tell you that it's not oily or heavy, the noodles are not eggy at all, and have a bit more hagotae (al dente-ness?) than I'm used to. The charm point though is the thoroughly stewed vegetables on top. The nanohana was barely present, but the daikon and potato were like a really clean-tasting oden. I wasn't so confident about the cherry tomato, and wound up avoiding it until I had already eaten all the other vegetables and most of the noodles. Damned if it wasn't the best part. Being no poet, I'm not gonna try to wow you with my words, but "bright" and "burst" come to mind.

At 680 yen, and absolutely zero vegetarian hypocrisy points, it's worth trying. and retrying.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yokohama-machi, in Aomori-ken, is "famous" for nanohana in the same way that other towns are "famous" for being a minor poet's hometown or having a particularly memorable traffic accident recently. My ex-girlfriend drove me out there once for the nanohana festival and I spent the next four hours or so pissing her off with the "Kono hana, nan no hana?" joke.

Also, nanohana smells like corn silage and I had never even considered that it could be eaten.