Friday, March 30, 2007

the new starcraft.

While I'm sure blizzard is cooking up something hot, I think I don't have much use for that stuff anymore. Somehow, I've become obsessed with "real life". I suppose that's what most people were throughout history, and what a pretty good majority still are. I wasn't always so insistent on being "rooted in the soil" though.
I used to be a gamer. It used to seem to me like the goals that I put behind me in games had some meaning. Objectively, I always knew they didn't, but I forgave myself because I didn't feel like those material goals in life had any more meaning.
Now I'm down with the materialists. From self-help to joining a gym and thinking non-stop about money, my life has become heavy and concrete. I don't mind it this way. Living through other people's fictions wasn't so hot after all.

But where I started with this was I think I've found a timesap (or two) that are going to leave me as worthless as starcraft did in college. The big new big thing is the (taiwan import) DS I bought today and the kanji kentei game that I spent my day on.
From the time I got home until just about now, I've been staring at those two screens (in vertical orientation) and scribbling down kanji. I'm way too into this game. I can see myself being ready for my year's goal (lvl 3) by June.

BTW, if you're keeping track, the year of the boar is about 1/4 over. I've got one goal completed, and have just begun in earnest on two of the others. Already there have been times when it seemed really unlikely that I'd manage all of them, but now, it looks like I set my goals a lot lower than I should have.

No comments: