Tuesday, May 09, 2006

33:43 and law school.

33:43 is the amount of time it took me to read 10 pages worth of Murakami Haruki... or roughly 6000 characters of straightforward, sparsely decorated japanese. 178 characters a minute, if you wanna get exact on it. According to this japanese speed reading website, the average speed is something like 500 characters a minute. If I want to pass the reading comprehension portion of the big test on June 11, I've got to get my pace up to around 400 hundred characters a minute... in the original terms, I need to reduce my 10 page reading time to about 15 minutes. at least down to 20 minutes anyway.

In case you're just tuning in, I like standardized tests, and I like incremental preparations, and concrete goals. I spent most of november posting similar stuff about practice tests for the JLPT.

This test is a bit heavier than the JLPT though. This is the Japanese equivalent of the LSAT, and I'll be taking it alongside all the japanese law school hopefuls. If I nail this one, or even do "pretty good", I think I've got a really strong shot at getting into one of the schools I'm shooting for next April.

The new Japanese "law school" system was put into place in 2004 to combat the present and future shortage of legal professionals in Japan. It's just another part of the permanent revolution that the Koizumi government has instated, and like a lot of other aspects of the broad stroke reform policy, it's modeled on the US (a country with NO shortage of lawyers). Like the US law school systems, students untrained in law are very welcome. Likewise, the admissions system relies heavily on an LSAT clone test, a test not of legal knowledge, but reasoning and academic ability.
That's my in. If I can throw down on this test, like I throw down on others, I can make a big splash in the early phases, and then figure out how to back it up after the fact. I'll have to figure out something to back it up, because there are still interviews and a timed essay test to worry about. Still, the test lets me really put my best foot forward.

I have a lot of thoughts about the current legal reform movement underway right now, but it can all be summed up in one question, to which I already know the answer:

Why the hell would you choose the US for your new legal model?
(a: american laws and the american legal system are held by a certain class of legal scholars to be a big part of the broad economic success of american corporations. [likewise the similar legal system of the uk and it's corporations])

No comments: