Thursday, July 05, 2007

sell out young, enjoy the rest of your life.

Today I had a really good day, and for the most mundane and vaguely pathetic reason. I was finally allowed to work. For the first time since school, I had a chance to feel like I was doing something that needed doing, and that I was uniquely qualified to do.

And I got a free sandwich for it!

The thing is, I started my new job on Monday, and a series of factors have made the first few days of my new job something of a drag. I hear that everyone goes through this stuff, but it's kind of humiliating being watched by a room full of people all day long while I try to look busy... despite being intentionally kept far away from work.

But tomorrow's supposed to be the last day of that stuff. Then I can get training from people who know what my job is.

Incidentally, I think they are sort of disappointed in my spoken Japanese. Hell, I would be. I've never been able to speak more than a few words before being interrupted. But on the bright side, I've seen papers, and heard conversations floating around that they are potentially contracting a teacher to get me some instruction in Japanese business language and etiquette. Maybe that can be the payback for the awkward week they've given me.... though payday will be a pretty good payback in itself.

No comments: