Monday, April 02, 2007

rokkyuu.

I just passed level 6 of the kanji kentei. On the DS.

The game I bought is indeed pretty effective. I do have a big complaint though. Whereas on the real test, I'd have to have quite a large vocabulary, and be able to apply my knowledge over 1000s of different words, this game has roughly 100 questions per section per level.
I'm sure the 100 sample questions are a good representation of what the real level six offers, but this game can never be an effective study tool without a lot more questions.

It takes me about 30 minutes of solid workin to push through one level's worth of questions. Then a little more time to go over the ones I missed, and slowly get them all correct. Within an hour, I've supposedly accomplished a year's worth of kanji study. Shenanigans.

To wit: imagine I score about 40% on a given level. I study the 100 questions exhaustively, and get to the point where I can get 95% no problem, and I've got nothing left to study. What kind of score can I expect on the real test? By my figuring, about a 42%.

actually, a couple percent increase in score for just a couple hours study is phenomenal... but there's no easy way to take that couple of percent and extend it to 10 or 20%.
I'll probably be buying the other kanjikentei game pretty soon too, for exactly this reason.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing about this, I just ordered it from Amazon. The selection of DS games in stores here (Canada and/or U.S.) is pretty small compared to Japan so please mention any other good finds if you get the chance!