Saturday, August 19, 2006

words to live by.

Kissui's got a post today with a bunch of Japanese in it... cool, cool, I think. I'll just read along and see what's so funny. Au contraire mon frere.

What she wrote was basically a list of venerable historic names, and paired them up with elements of modern pop culture. Dictionaries don't have the names of Gods and emperors, nor do they feature such valuable words as エロパロ. The joke, I suppose is really limited to people with a damned deep knowledge of Japanese history and pop culture... or Japanese people.

I post, why? Partly out of frustration that I lack the knowledge to parse that paragraph out, but moreso because I don't know where to get it. Because of an errant [space] inserted in the middle of the next word, I had thought we were talking about エロパロニ. And googling had me a bit perplexified. After a while, I figured out, ero-paro = ero-parody, but I really don't know where to turn when I crash into a wall of slang (or names). Over time I've picked up some of the essentials, like paizuri and paipan (largely unrelated, believe it or not), still not near enough of the words I encounter pretty often on TV or in pop songs. What to do, what to do...

No comments: